« Why Jesus Folded His Napkin | Main | The cost of Illegal Aliens vs. the War in Iraq »

November 12, 2008

TrackBack

TrackBack URL for this entry:
http://www.typepad.com/services/trackback/6a00d8341c0b9353ef010535f1bd2e970c

Listed below are links to weblogs that reference Do Real Men Drink Tea?:

Comments

Ken

Hehehe. Your comment "British tea mania" and crustless sadnwiches made me smile.Years ago only the rich could afford to drink tea,it was so expensive that it was kept under lock and key,and as far as crustless sandwiches go,again only the rich could afford to throw the crust away. ( bit silly really,its the tastiest part of the bread ). Its funny how only 5% of a population can actually tar the other 95% with their wasteful habits.
Do you have any idea as to the value of the tea that was tipped overboard at the Boston tea party?.I was wondering what the value you of it would be today,allowing for inflation,i think it might be in the region of 6 plus million dollars


Paul

Is that as opposed to real men ?? LOL

Paul

Oops I meant "unreal" men-TYPO...

Ginger

I have always wondered exactly what a "Real man" actually is, myself. I would guess that it is a man who wouldn't be caught dead sipping tea for fear of not looking "Masculine", or something equally silly.

Ken

I was under the impression that the Boston Tea Party was caused by an increase in taxation.But on reading the Tea Tax Act of 1773,it actualy cut the cost of Tea from £1 per lb to 10 shillings per lb. Very interesting to see how historical facts seem to get changed

Ginger Esler

Here is what I found on it Ken:
The Stamp Act of 1765 and the Townshend Acts of 1767 angered colonists regarding British decisions on taxing the colonies despite a lack of representation in the Westminster Parliament. One of the protesters was John Hancock, a wealthy Bostonian. In 1768, Hancock's ship Liberty was seized by customs officials, and he was charged with smuggling. He was defended by John Adams, and the charges were eventually dropped. However, Hancock later faced several hundred more indictments.

Hancock organized a boycott of tea from China sold by the British East India Company, whose sales in the colonies then fell from 320,000 pounds (145,000 kg) to 520 pounds (240 kg). By 1773, the company had large debts, huge stocks of tea in its warehouses and no prospect of selling it because smugglers, such as Hancock, were importing tea from the Netherlands without paying import taxes. In response to this the British government passed the Tea Act, which allowed the East India Company to sell tea to the colonies directly and without "payment of any customs or duties whatsoever" in Britain, instead paying the much lower American duty. This tax break allowed the East India Company to sell tea for half the old price and cheaper than the price of tea in England, enabling them to undercut the prices offered by the colonial merchants and smugglers

Ken

Thank you for the info,i obviously didnt research enough

Braden

I quite agree that a man can drink tea, just as much as any lady can. I think saying that sissies are the only ones that practice the ritual is quite silly and totally unnecasary. In my opinion, there is nothing feminine about tea at all. Once you think about it, it's just a drink that is usually enjoyed enjoyed hot, and can be drank in anything from a plain old coffee mug to an elegant teacup. Most say the most manly ones are brave and don't care what people say about them. Then bravo, to the gentlemen holding their teacups, for you are clearly the manliest in the bunch, not giving a darn what anyone thinks about you! Tea is a drink and a darn good one, and suitable for people of all ages, male or female, British, or otherwise!

Ginger Esler

Thank you for your comment, Braden. I agree with your point of view. Please visit my blog again.

The comments to this entry are closed.